Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Types IV, V, & Beyond... and Meh -or- I May Play D&D But I'm Not a Gamer

And you think Rockford Files is cool,
But there are some things that you would change if it were up to you.
So think about your masterpiece
And call to see if Paul can score some weed.
     -- "Battle of Who Could Care Less", Ben Folds Five


Do people still say/write "meh"?  Is that passe?

See, here's the thing:  I don't know the answer to the above question.  Not that I couldn't find out--I just don't care enough to go digging into it.  For me, "meh" works just fine as an expression of general apathy.

And it's for that same rationale that I'll probably only ever say this about Type V and the Nerd Wars that will surely accompany its release:

Yawn. I'm tired. Can we talk about something else?

I'm sure Type V--like Types I through IV before it--will have some good points.  I'm sure it will have bad or it's-just-not-for-me points as well.  Butchaknowwhat? I don't really care.  I'm not in the RPG "industry" (whatever that means these days) and I'm not even really a "gamer".  I like D&D and a couple of other RPGs and I even play them occasionally.  I write about them, too, because it's fun.  But I don't generally buy supplements or new editions, don't go to cons, don't hang out in hobby shops, and--unless they speak to me in a louder voice than this weekend's family events, date night, new movie, concert, or whatever--I probably won't even play That New Game that Arboreal Squid Publishing just released.

Like "meh," the games I have work just fine for me.  I've got nothing against the new stuff; I just don't have the time or energy (or sometimes the cash) to try it out.  In the last 10 years, I've bought exactly one new RPG--the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" game by Eden Studios.  And that was as much for my wife (massive Buffyholic) as for me.  I downloaded and tried out Risus and Supercrew* just out of curiosity in my everyone's-playing-Type-III-but-it-gives-me-a-headache and reading-too-much-Uncle-Bear phase in the early 2000s... and that's it.  Everything else on my game shelf was published between 1978 and 1995.  Not because I'm trying to be an intentional grognard--but because what I already have Just Works.



---
* Also, Supercrew promised that I could draw in and color my superhero on the character sheet.  With crayons.  There isn't enough coloring in RPGS... or in adult life, for that matter.

1 comment:

  1. Dibs on "Arboreal Squid Publishing" for the name of my hypothetical RPG publishing house.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice or you may be eaten by a grue.